Champion openly backs Krantz

Milton Mayor Gord Krantz

About the author

MiltonSearch.com focuses on absolutely everything interesting related to the town of Milton, Ontario, including news, sports, business, arts, events, culture, transit, politics, photography, real estate, advertising, food, and a whole lot more. Part of the Townhound network, MiltonSearch.com is published by Orbit Studios. Established in June 2007, it has become one of Milton's most popular online sources for information -- a trusted and essential community resource.

16 Comments

1. csb102 says:

Agree with your stance on this one. Even though it’s their editorial column, they should leave opinions re: political candidates to the bloggers or sites like this one (although you do a good job of being impartial, which I respect) or risk losing credibility – people will not take the Champion seriously if they know that they just support “the old boys”.

Well done.

2. I’ve got news for you – the Champion has endorsed Gord Krantz every election year since I’ve lived here. The Champion *always* endorses candidates, even for federal and provincial races, and they nearly always endorse the more conservative candidate. In fact, all three of the Halton Metroland papers do. The Oakville Beaver just endorsed Mulvale, and in the last Federal race all three ran identical endorsements of Raitt.

You do have a point though. In a market with only a single paper it’s a pretty questionable practice – although don’t forget the poor little Halton Compass.

FYI, it’s not just ‘new’ Miltonians who are fed up. There’s a lot of anger and frustration here in Ward 2 as well, especially among seniors who have watched their town transform beneath their feet and whose concerns have been completely ignored in the process.

I think there are more than a few incumbents who are in for a big surprise.

3. As the local newspaper with the largest circulation in the area I believe the Champion should understand that it is in a position to sway the electorate and should refrain from endorsing any candidate for any position! They provided an excellent service by publishing the mayoral candidates responses to the MRRA questionnaire. They reported factually on the various debates – they should have stopped there!

I would much rather have seen an editorial identifying voter apathy as a major issue and using the power of its circulation to sway the population to actually get out and vote.

4. Editor says:

Thanks for your comments so far, folks.

Jennifer, you’ve lived here longer than me, so your ‘historical’ perspective is appreciated!

Martin, I agree. Maybe an editorial on voter apathy would have been better served in this case and then if Krantz is re-elected, follow up with the pro-Krantz platform AFTER October 25th.

Suddenly things are a little clearer for me – thanks again everyone!

5. Editor says:

Oh, and my apologies to the Halton Compass… We’re in Ward 6 and no longer receive that publication (for free anyways). We used to reside in what is the current Ward 5 and used to receive it regularly.

6. Editor says:

The user ‘freemantrailfamily’ on the Hawthorne Villager forum actually has a nice response as well which you can read here: http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=31311&highlight=

7. Editor says:

Jennifer, thanks for the insight on the seemingly conservative stance of the Metroland publications. Isn’t Metroland owned by the Toronto Star or Torstar Digital? The Star of course, is roundly criticized as being the left-leaning publication…. Perhaps Metroland figures the ‘burbs are more conservative in their values, so they’ve decided to lean that way…

Re: Ward 2 voters not necessarily happy with the status quo — great point. I hate to use ‘new’ and ‘old’ when describing things but the point was that ‘new’ residents do outnumber the ‘old’ now, therefore you would think there would be fewer invested in keeping ‘ol Gord in office.

And thanks for bringing to light the many issues in Ward 2 — the new developments’ concerns have been well-documented but for those in the older wards, there are some very serious issues as well very specific to those areas.

8. g.c. gamache says:

The Milton Champion continues to mystify us all. Never any news. Never any in depth coverage. Favours male sports over female. Very, very conservative…… and could use a competing newspaper. IMHO it is simply a conveyance for flyers!

9. Pat says:

We question voter apathy but honestly, who picks up the Champion and reads it cover to cover – no one that I know. Apathy seems to be a general state of mind these days, and it leans in no political direction.

We are all frustrated with roads and construction, but we cannot blame Milton Town Council and the Mayor, because at least one half of all of the roads under construction are and have been Regional roads. And, I don’t see anyone boycotting the new roads but using them and getting places faster and quicker than they have in the past.

The paper should be non-partison but an editorial is an editorial and should be taken for what it is – a personal opinion. And, isn’t he right in the sense that the only time you see these names around town is during an election year? And, shouldn’t someone sit on council (in the current decade) and learn about the issues facing us today, before thinking himself worthy of the Mayor’s seat?

The Mayor’s leadership and strength will be tested during the next 4 years as he sets forth to spearhead an inexperienced council, and in turn, learn from them as they learn from him.

Let’s get behind him and the new council, engage ourselves in the debate, and continue to talk to our friends and neighbours, and teaching our children about the importance of voting and having your say in any election.

10. Jacqueline says:

The decor on the inside of the restaurant is absolutely beautiful.
    At the end of each round read out the cumulative scores.
    Her father, Bruce Paltrow, produced the critically acclaimed TV series that
    is considered the precursor to many medical shows today, St.

11. Saundra says:

Hello there, I found your web site by way of Google
    while searching for a related topic, your website came up, it seems to be good.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, just changed into alert to your weblog thru Google, and found that it’s truly informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you happen to continue this in future.
    A lot of folks shall be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!

12. I read this article completely on the topic of the comparison of most up-to-date and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.

13. Thankfulness to my father who stated to me regarding this weblog, this website is in fact amazing.

14. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily
    basis. It’s always useful to read articles from other
    writers and practice something from other web sites.

Trackbacks for this post

1. Milton Newsstand: October 3, 2011 | MiltonSearch.com | Milton Ontario News, Events and more!